My Thoughts on What Is Happening in Nigeria: A Heavy Pain I Can’t Ignore

There are moments in life when the news stops feeling like just news and starts feeling personal. That’s how I’ve been feeling recently with everything going on in Nigeria. Every day I come across stories, videos, and posts about Christian communities being attacked, people running for their lives, families losing loved ones, and entire villages living in fear. Whether someone calls it conflict, crisis, or genocide, one thing is clear to me: something very wrong is happening, and the world is not paying enough attention.

I’m not writing this as a journalist, an expert, or a politician. I’m writing as a human being who feels pain when other human beings are suffering. I’m writing because silence sometimes feels like betrayal. And honestly, writing helps me think, process, and breathe.

Why This Affects Me So Much

I think what hurts me the most is that these are innocent people. These are Christians who simply want to live their lives, go to church, farm their land, raise their children, and sleep peacefully at night. But instead, they wake up to gunshots, they lose their homes, and some don’t survive.

For years, Nigeria has struggled with different forms of violence, but recently something feels different. The attacks seem more deliberate, more targeted, and more organized. And when I see people describing it as genocide, I understand why. When a particular group keeps getting attacked again and again, it becomes hard to deny that something deeper is happening.

I can’t count the number of times I’ve sat quietly and asked myself, “How is this possible? How can human beings hate or harm others this much?” It breaks my heart.

Trump’s Voice — A Rare Global Attention

One thing that surprised me was when Donald Trump spoke about it. I know he is a very controversial figure. Some love him, others can't stand him. But whether we like him or not, when someone with global influence speaks about an issue, the entire world suddenly pays attention.

When he said Christians in Nigeria are facing a serious threat, it felt like a spotlight was finally pointed on something people have been ignoring for too long. His comments brought a lot of reactions — some people supported him, some people criticized him, and others said he was exaggerating.

But for me, his voice did something important: it forced the conversation into the open. Sometimes it takes one loud voice to shake the table and make everyone look. Whether his approach was right or wrong, the truth is that Christians in Nigeria are suffering, and the world cannot pretend not to see it.

The Human Side of the Crisis

I always try to think about the people behind the stories — the mothers hiding their children during an attack, the fathers who go out and never return, the young men who are abducted, the women who have lost everything, the children who will grow up with trauma instead of a normal childhood.

These are not statistics. They are real people.

Imagine sleeping with fear every night.
Imagine going to church not knowing if attackers might storm in.
Imagine farming your land while glancing over your shoulder for danger.
Imagine watching your village burn and having nowhere safe to run.

No human being deserves this.

Why Some Call It Genocide

People use the word “genocide” because they see a pattern — a group being constantly attacked, displaced, and killed. The word is heavy, but the situation is also heavy. When I look at the ongoing violence, I understand why people use that description: it feels like a community is being wiped out slowly, attack after attack.

Even if some people argue that the violence is “complex,” the pain and destruction are still real. Whether someone calls it genocide, crisis, terrorism, persecution, or conflict, the effect on the victims is the same — death, fear, and loss.

What the World Should Do (But Isn’t Doing)

One thing I’ve noticed is that international attention is very selective. Some tragedies get the whole world screaming. Others, like this one, remain in the background, left for only the affected people to cry over.

The world reacts based on politics, interest, and convenience. If a powerful country benefits from speaking out, they speak. If it doesn’t affect them, they ignore it. That is the sad truth.

What I want is simple:

  • Global awareness

  • Honest conversations

  • Support for victims

  • Pressure on the Nigerian government to protect its citizens

  • Real solutions, not empty statements

People are dying. That should be enough to provoke action, not excuses.

My Emotional Struggle Watching All This

Sometimes I feel helpless. I sit here reading, watching, and hearing about all these terrible events, and I ask myself, “What can I do?” I’m not in government. I’m not a soldier. I’m not a politician. I don’t have millions to donate. All I have is my voice, my ability to write, and my ability to care.

But maybe that is something.

Maybe writing about it helps someone else understand.
Maybe talking about it makes one more person aware.
Maybe caring loudly encourages others to care too.

The truth is, silence helps the attackers.
Speaking out helps the victims.

The Complexity Doesn’t Change the Suffering

Some people argue that the crisis is not religious — that it's about land, politics, tribes, or other issues. And maybe in some cases, that’s true. Conflicts are often messy. But even if the reasons are mixed, the victims are still largely Christians, and the suffering is undeniable.

When people die, they don’t care what label analysts give the violence. What matters is that their lives were destroyed.

What I Hope For

I hope for peace — real peace. Not the fake peace that comes from silence, but the kind that comes from justice and security.

I pray for:

  • Protection for Christian villages

  • Healing for wounded families

  • Strength for survivors

  • Wisdom for leaders

  • Courage for the world to act

  • And above all, an end to the violence

Nigeria is a beautiful country with beautiful people. It hurts to see it drowning in blood and conflict. It deserves better. Its people deserve better.

A Final Personal Reflection

Writing this blog feels heavy, but necessary. I don’t want to pretend everything is okay. I don’t want to look away. I don’t want to act like these lives don’t matter.

They matter.

Every lost life matters.
Every orphaned child matters.
Every burnt home matters.
Every grieving mother matters.
Every Christian hiding for safety matters.

My heart goes out to Nigeria. I may not be able to solve the problem, but I can speak. I can care. And I can remind others not to forget the people who are suffering in silence.

This is not just their problem.
This is a human problem.
And humanity owes them more.

Image Disclaimer: 

The above image is used for illustrative and informational purposes. No copyright infringement is intended. 

Related Articles:

https://newsnestupdates.blogspot.com/2025/06/kenya-protests-2025-why-youth-are.html

https://newsnestupdates.blogspot.com/2025/07/kenya-is-in-flames-youth-are-hungry-for.html

Comments

Trending Articles

A Black Wednesday for Ghana: The Helicopter Crash That Took Our Leaders

Chelsea or PSG? Final Match Preview & Score Prediction

Thrilling 3–3 Draw at Estadi Olimpic Lluis Companys Sets the Stage for High-Stakes Second Leg in Milan

2025 BECE Results Released: A Moment of Next Decision for Students and Parents

Barcelona vs Inter Milan: Second-Leg Showdown at the San Siro – Who Will Book Their Place in the Final?